Bestival Toronto's Guide to Fancy DressArticle by: Lindsay Cabrera|@LCPR_
Fri June 10, 2016 | 00:00 AM
Bestival has leapt across the pond to Toronto, Canada as it prepares to launch Year Two of its renowned arts and music festival June 11 and 12. This year's theme is Summer of Love, so it’s all about the music, peace, euphoria, and of course, freedom of expression. With more than a decade of costume party bonanzas at Bestival UK, this year the festival extends the love across the pond to share its burning passion for all things glittery and shimmery. From bell-bottomed, flower-braided hippies to psychedelic adventurers, Saturday will host the fantastical costume parade, weaving and winding a harem of sequined shapes and Summer of Love splendour through Woodbine Park.
Bestival founder Rob da Bank has put together his top favourite costumes throughout the years for you to take tips from. So get inspired, join the fun and feel the love as we kick off Bestival Toronto this weekend!
1. Festivals are about punctuating the day-to-day by turning the world on its head, and dressing up is a charming kind of original diversion.
2. This is a great example of how dressing up doesn’t have to be complicated to be spectacular. It's a style mash-up of mime artist, Elizabethan ruff, gold shell suit, and a terrific red Roland. Everyone should have musical accessories!
3. Adventurously coloured guises are fantastic because they really bring festivals to life. At the end of the day it’s about having a laugh. We’re in the Kingdom of Party, and silliness rules the roost.
4. We’re often bashful, reserved creatures in our everyday lives, so you'll get a real kick seeing costume ensembles parading through the tens of thousands of revellers, forming an extensive, multi-coloured psychedelic trip.
5. Carnival get-ups always look fantastic. You get loads of texture and pattern from a simple design. The guys who do the daily costume parades through the site are incredible, especially as some tower over you on stilts – it’s like walking through a tripped-out dream sequence!
6. Some of the best garb over the years has been those with straightforward ideas behind them. Everyone has scissors, glue and something gold at home right?
7. Hands up to these guys for a visionary Star Wars-inspired getup. It’s ace to see folks who have expended huge amounts of creative energy on fancy dress. The themes are very open, there’s always a lot of room for interpretation. You'll see a real eclectic mix over the weekend.
8. Dressing up can be as nonsensical and extravagant as you want it to be. The themes act as a guideline for dissolving rigid ideas about what we wear, and people can have a lot of fun with it.
9. Accessories are the champion tokens of fanciful style. With a wealth of glitter and sequins readily available, there’s never an excuse not to look fantastically far-out and freakish!
10. Getting into the offbeat groove, below is an imaginative translation of our stellar 2011 theme, "Rock Stars, Pop Stars and Divas."
11. Below is a first-rate rendering of how to dress up. The lesson? Get colourful and go wild on your proportions. Escape the monotony for a few days and go for the unexpected and bizarre!
12. Getting dressed up in crazy outfits and donning a show-off nature is what Bestival is famed for. People can be their most adventurous and really let their hair down.
13. Fancy dress is a great excuse to play with sequins once again, embrace stylistic regalia, and celebrate the extreme.